01 September 2009

Brothers

As a refreshing change, I decided to hang out with my brothers for the majority of the weekend. Actually, it just worked out that the most fun things I did were with them, and my cousin tagged along to join the fun as well.


Everett and I spent most of the time working on my computers, which included installing the latest OS on both. It took all weekend to download Snow Leopard (6 GB with low ratio) but it finally completed, although I haven't installed it yet. From what I've heard, it definitely makes things run smoother and clears up 8-10 GB of hard drive space which will be nice. It only costs $29, which is a reasonable deal, but I torrented it anyway because Mac does not need my money; actually, they already have more of it than I should have allowed...

While all that was downloading on the Mac, me Everett and Chris went to Fry's to pick up a new hard drive and either a new power supply or cpu fan. The fan was definitely what was making all the noise in my computer, but I couldn't really decide if it was worth it to replace it. One, the better fans are really only meant for better cooling for bigger processors, so they wouldn't necessarily be more quiet. Especially in an old Pentium 4. Also, I didn't realize the socket 775 has either a 3-pin or 4-pin connector. Plugging the 3-pin fan, which I ended up buying for $10, into the 4 pins on the motherboard meant that it would spin but not be detected in the BIOS. Therefore, no boot. Also, the stupid snap pins wouldn't fit unless I removed the metal plate that the old heat sync screwed into, and I even tried frankenstein the old and the new to get it to fit. I ended up just going back to the old one, which was much quieter after I cleaned out the cake of dust anyway. So I'll be going back this weekend to get my $10.

I did pick up the Blu Ray remote for the PS3 (sweet) and a 1 TB hard drive. I didn't realized there was an extra bay in the case, so I now have 1.2 TB of space. Installed much easier than the fan. Pretty much spent the whole night drinking some New Castle and installing Windows 7 with Everett, Mark and Yimmit. It took some time to get a few programs and hardware running since a lot of the drivers disappeared or were incompatible, but we got all the essentials done (network card, sound card, graphics card, etc..) because the troubleshooting is really good in 7. The OS runs really nice after a clean install. I like it. Mark had his own project with two old Thinkpads from my uncle, which he cleaned up and installed Obuntu on. He's good at doing well with low resources.

The next day after Chula Vista beat NON-commy China, I went back to Fry's with all three brothers to pick up the CPU fan (which I now have to return) and a new DVI cable for Darick. When we got home, I started to play around with the comp when Mark asked if I wanted to jam with them. This kind of took me by surprise...

Never have we all four played music together. The first thing I did was drag the stack and bass amp back into the music room. Next, I opened up Garage Band really quick and plugged the little mic I have into it. I just hung it on the door outside and didn't tell anyone. Then the magic happened. Mark was on drums, Darick played bass and me and Everett alternated lead and rhythm. We kept doing these long jam songs and alternating instruments; Everett on drums, Mark on bass, Darick on guitar, etc...someone would just start playing and we would add to it and build it up until it erupted, then bring it back down to earth and end it. We did this for a pretty long time, and I got the whole thing on tape. We can all pretty much read each other like a book and it was easily the best jam I've ever played.



2 Comments:

  1. Justyn said...
    Reapplying thermal paste (especially a good one like Arctic Silver) would help the noise as well. With those 3 pinners, not only is it not detected by BIOS, but by doing so (or NOT doing so) there's no good variable speed on the fan.

    Also, bigger heat sinks are better, not noisier, and if you really want to be cool they make HUGE passive heat sinks (no fan at all) best suited for moderate computing needs. And since I've yet to see you bust out some Oblivion or Crysis on that computer, you should look into it.
    Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they make a sck775 version, or how available it would be.
    Justyn said...
    Good point. A text message would probably do the same job.

    I forgot, though, about Casey's baby shower. You'd probably know better how long it will last, so.... I'm not going to be able to make it to Chris' on Sunday, or whatever, so if we go to Stone that would be doubly good. I'd just buy him a beer and call it.

Post a Comment