19 August 2009

FO>R>WAR>D

Since I got my G1, which has been satisfactory but expensive for the most part, the one thing it lacked for me was e-mail. I've always used hotmail, but using all the Google apps and services required that I create a Gmail account when I bought the phone. It has its own Gmail app, as well as an E-mail app for retrieving mail from other servers. The problem is that my particular Hotmail account does not support the POP (Post Office Protocol) application-layer standard, which is needed to ''pull'' data across the TCP/IP connection from Hotmail to Gmail(a lot of technical jargon from networking, I know)...that is, unless you PAY for a plus account. Yeah right.


But, I read in a forum that there's a trick to getting around this, which is really just the result of lazy programmers at Microsoft not noticing this ''glitch'': All you have to do is go into settings and turn on mobile updates, get an access code for your phone, activate it and then turn OFF mobile updates. For some reason, this disables the lock and allows messages to be forwarded, or ''pushed'', to Gmail using POP. Neat. Free.

So now, utilizing my one Hotmail address that I've had for 11 years, I can receive the messages in Hotmail and Gmail, as well as on the G1 and Macmail. In fact, you can send me e-mail to either address and I'll get it in both my Gmail box and my Macmail box. I'm hesitant to forward Gmail messages to Hotmail because it may create some loop, but I'll try it. It's cool because you can actually see the forwarding process as the data travels. If you send a message to Hotmail, the actual server gets it first, then Macmail, then Gmail, and finally the G1, all in succession. The whole thing takes about a minute, but it's worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment